What is Certified Organic?
When something is “certified organic”, it means that it has been produced according to a specific organic standard. This is assurance that the product has been produced to specific standards to ensure its organic quality.
All our sheets, doona covers and pillowslips are all certified to the GOTS standard. GOTS stands for the Global Organic Textile Standard and is the leading worldwide textile standard for organic fibers.
So, why do we have our sheet sets and doona cover sets certified by GOTS? Well, we want to be assured that our kids and yours are sleeping in soft, organic cotton fabric that is free from nasty chemical residues. We also want to assure that the people making our sheets and doona covers are treated fairly and with respect.
The GOTS standard has a strict set of criteria that must be adhered to in order for a factory/company to sell GOTS certified products. These standards mirror our belief system and what is important to us, both environmentally and socially:
- GOTS have strict standards to ensure the organic status of the fabric.
- The use of toxic heavy metals, formaldehyde, aromatic solvents, functional nano particles, GMO and their enzymes are all prohibited under the GOTS standard.
- All chemicals such as dyes and process chemicals must be evaluated as meeting requirements on toxicity and biodegradability/eliminability.
- AZO dyes that release carcinogenic amine compounds are prohibited.
- Printing methods using phthalates and PVC are prohibited.
- Trims must not contain PVC, nickel or chrome.
- Bleaches must be based on oxygen rather than chlorine bleach.
- There must be an active environmental policy and procedures in place to minimize waste and discharges. Wastewater from printing and dyeing processes etc. must be treated in a functional wastewater treatment plant.
- Fabrics must meet stringent limits regarding unwanted residues.
- Any paper or cardboard used for swing tickets, cardboard boxes for shipping etc must be recycled or certified according to FSC or PEFC.
- Factories must meet minimum social criteria. Employment must be chosen freely, so seeing a GOTS certification is your assurance that no slave or child labour has been used.
- Fair wages must be paid and the working hours must not be excessive.
- The working conditions must be safe and hygienic.
- Harsh and inhumane treatment is prohibited. No discrimination is practiced.
For more information on the GOTS standard please visit the GOTS website: http://www.global-standard.org/about-us